NATO Defense College, chief linguistic service / principal interpreter-reviser, NATO grade li-4
Vacancy Notice of post number: DFC AOL 0180 Deadline for applications: Thursday 05 April 2012 (1700hrs Rome local time)
- Last updated:
1. Description of duties
The incumbent reports directly to the Director Academic Operations Division and is responsible for:
- Providing simultaneous or consecutive interpretation between English and French, and Italian as required, for lectures, briefings and discussions and, if necessary, during instructional tours and visits.
- Managing, supervising and co-ordinating the work of the Linguistic Service.
- Translating, revising and editing documents (in mother tongue, English or French).
- Recruiting and selecting freelance linguists when required and supervising their activities in coordination with the appropriate programme authority.
- As fund manager, planning and managing budget allocations for linguistic services.
Maintaining contacts with other NATO linguistic services and keeping abreast of developments in the linguistic profession at large.
- Acting as language assessor on Selection Boards for civilian personnel.
- Undertaking other duties as directed in support of the College Mission.
2. Essential qualifications
Professional/Experience: Several years of experience as a conference interpreter and translator-revisor. Experience in the management and coordination of linguistic services.
Education/Training: Very good general education up to university level.
Security Clearance: NATO Secret.
Language: Mandatory: English, French and Italian SLP 5555 (STANAG 6001, 4th edition).
Standard Automated Data Processing (ADP) Knowledge:
- Word Processing: working knowledge
- Spreadsheet: working knowledge
- Graphics presentation: working knowledge
- Database: basic knowledge
3. Desirable qualifications
- Professional/Experience: Experience in NATO or other international organisations primarily dealing with security issues. Broad understanding of defence and international affairs. Professional experience in defence/academic fields.
- Education/Training: Good knowledge of Microsoft Office Application Suite.
- Language: Any other language might be an asset.
4. Personal Attributes
The Chief Linguistic Service must have a highly developed sense of responsibility. Open-mindedness, tact, flexibility and professional experience are essential attributes when leading a team of linguistic professionals. He/she must have a high degree of competence in performing linguistic tasks, even under pressure. The ability to build and sustain a professional team is essential.
5. Managerial Responsibilities
The Chief Linguistic Service manages the Linguistic Service.
6. Professional Contacts
With the College Faculty and with members of the linguistic profession at large.
7. Contribution to the Objectives
Providing linguistic services in support of the College Mission.
8. Work Environment
Serving staff members will be offered a contract according to the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations. Newly recruited staff will be offered a two year initial contract which may be followed by a further contract.
10. Deadline for applications
Thursday, 05 April 2012 (1700hrs Rome local time)
Applications from qualified candidates, indicating the job title and staff vacancy number, MUST be submitted using the official NDC application form available at www.ndc.nato.int/download/forms/applicationformndc.doc
Application form must be saved with the applicant’s surname only and sent via email to: Recruitment@wzd1.ndc.nato.int
Applications submitted after the date limit may be considered provided they arrive in time for the candidates to be considered for the interview.
Applications from NATO redundant staff members will be considered according to the terms of art. 57.2, Chapter XII to NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
To this end applications should reach this College not later than cob Monday, 26 March 2012.
For further information please contact the Human Resources Manager by mail: Recruitment@muamczzz2.ndc.nato.int or by telephone: +39-06-50 525 304.
Please note that we accept applications electronically without a photograph and without a signature at this stage in the process.
Please note that we can only accept applications from nationals of NATO member countries.
Applications from candidates who do not meet the essential qualifications will not be taken into consideration and will receive no reply.
Anything to say?
You must be logged in to comment. Sign-in