The major international organisations regularly recruit conference interpreters, who may work as permanent members of staff or as freelances on an ad hoc basis.
- Letzte Aktualisierung:
International organisations recruiting interpreters are generally found in major cities around the world.
Recruitment procedures vary from organisation to organisation, as do the required language combinations and the subjects dealt with. Here are a few of them:
United Nations Organisation (UN) New York, Geneva, Vienna, Nairobi...and some of its Specialised Agencies:
- International Labour Organisation (ILO) Geneva
- Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) Rome
- UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) Paris
- World Health Organisation (WHO) Geneva
- International Court of Justice (ICJ) The Hague
- International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) The Hague
- International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) Arusha
- International Maritime Organisation (IMO) London
Some European organisations:
- Council of Europe (CE) Strasbourg
- Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) Luxembourg
- European Commission (EC) Brussels
- European Parliament (EP) Brussels, Strasbourg, Luxembourg
- European Patent Office (EPO) Munich
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) Brussels
Some other international Organisations:
- International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (of which the International Committee (ICRC)- is based in Geneva)
- International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- Group of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (ACP) Brussels
- African Union (AU) Addis Ababa
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Paris
- South African Development Community (SADC) Gaborone
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Singapore
- Free Trade Area of the Americas
- Mercosur Montevideo
AIIC has negotiated collective agreements with many major international organisations, governing working hours, working conditions, travelling conditions and remuneration for freelance interpreters.
Find out more about AIIC in international organisations.