AIIC: What it is
Language and languages are at the heart of international communication. The possibility to say exactly what one wants to say in one’s own language and to understand perfectly what others are saying is a basic right. AIIC plays a central role in guaranteeing this right by working with all types of users to match supply to demand. AIIC promotes the profession of conference interpretation in the interest of both users and practitioners by setting high standards, promoting sound training practices and fostering professional ethics.
Membership in AIIC is achieved by peer review through a system of sponsorship. By entering the association, members make a commitment to respect AIIC’s stringent Code of Ethics and Professional Standards.
The association aims to represent the profession as a whole and to act on behalf of all conference interpreters. By expanding membership, especially in parts of the world where the profession is now growing rapidly, and by staying abreast of relevant developments AIIC aims to contribute to the overall good of the community of interpreters.
AIIC: What it does
- AIIC negotiates collective agreements with major international organisations governing terms and conditions of employment
- AIIC stays abreast of market developments through the work of the Private Market Sector , which has contributed to expertise in the area of conference organisation and to recognition of the role of the consultant interpreter
- AIIC works to represent all conference interpreters and in collaboration with UNESCO has undertaken a long-term project on the definition and recognition of the profession
- AIIC sets standards in close cooperation with normative bodies like the International Organisation for Standardization (ISO), where specifications for interpreting booths are established. AIIC also provides expert guidance to architects designing conference centers or with television channels that want to program a satellite link with voice traffic
- AIIC promotes professional excellence and defends working conditions. AIIC has collected a large corpus of information about the optimum conditions for quality interpretation. Recently, AIIC worked hand-in-hand with a recognised international expert in work-place medicine to establish the correlation between working conditions and interpreter performance (see Work Load Study)
- AIIC promotes best practice in training through its survey of interpreting schools and sponsorship of continuing education courses
- AIIC communicates with users. AIIC understands the importance of a dialogue with users and in the early 1990s commissioned a detailed study of user expectations
- AIIC communicates with the community of interpreters. The AIIC interactive website – especially our webzine Communicate! – grew out of our determination to open lines of communication. Specific AIIC groups, such the new interpreter network, legal and court Interpreting Committee reach out to our worldwide community
- AIIC extends a hand to newcomers through regional seminars, useful information, and the Young AIIC Interpreters Group (YAIN).
- AIIC promotes the use of languages in a multilingual world through its projects and through direct action in international bodies
- AIIC keeps a close eye on new technologies and responds appropriately to the challenges and opportunities they present
AIIC: Membership benefits
- Direct individual membership means: - recognition of your professionalism - enhanced visibility to recruiters - direct input in association matters - access to a worldwide network of fellow professionals - membership you take with you when moving to another country
- Name and contact information included in the AIIC online database and in the printed AIIC Directory
- A POP3/IMAP4 email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) with sophisticated anti-spam and anti-virus protection, webmail access and a 8-gigabyte mailbox - bigger than Gmail's
- Preference and discounts for training courses
- Access to all the resources available in the members-only area of the website, including refined database search functions and AIIC PR materials
- Free receipt of the annual membership directory
- Involvement in AIIC activities and the opportunity to participate in your area of greatest interest (training, sectors, defense of working conditions, research, admissions, new members, statistics, public relations etc.)
- Involvement in projects which will help shape the future of our profession
- Access to an AIIC group loss of earnings insurance policy
- The AIIC Solidarity Fund is used to help members in need.
Recommended citation format:AIIC. "Introducing AIIC". aiic.net. February 19, 2002. Accessed April 29, 2017. <http://aiic.net/p/1280>.
Diese Seite teilen
Möchten Sie sich dazu äußern?
Um Kommentare zu hinterlassen, müssen Sie angemeldet sein. Anmelden