Job opening for Linguist (French) P-3 at Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)
This fixed-term appointment is for a duration of three years with a six-month probationary period. French must be first language of applicants. Application deadline is 28 September 2015
The OPCW is looking for a translator/interpreter with native French, excellent English and sound knowledge of at least one other official language of the OPCW (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
This appointment is subject to the OPCW Staff Regulations and Interim Staff Rules, as applicable. The OPCW is a non-career organisation with limited staff tenure. The Director-General retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description. Several vacancies may be filled.
Note: Although the OPCW is looking for a person capable of working as both translator and interpreter at a professional level, it will accept applications from persons who perform just one of those two tasks. Both translators and interpreters are encouraged to apply.
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Division: Secretariat for the Policy-Making Organs
Branch: Language Services Branch
Post Level: P-3
Deadline for applications: 28 September 2015
Under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Linguist (French), and in accordance with the OPCW Core Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity/Gender Equality, the responsibilities of the incumbent are:
- Translate (from English and one other official language into French and from French into English) official OPCW documents on political, technological, legal, Financial, administrative and scientific subjects.
- Translate (from English into French and from French into English) confidential OPCW documents.
- Self-revise translated texts and revise translations prepared by free-lance and contractual translators, as required.
- Provide simultaneous interpretation (from English into French and from French into English) for sessions and meetings of the OPCW and its policy-making organs and subsidiary bodies. The work includes interpretation of politically sensitive and/or technically complex subjects.
- Provide consecutive interpretation (from English into French and from French into English) at bilateral negotiations and on official missions.
- Undertake terminological research necessary to solve problems of terminology and meaning, prepare glossaries, technical vocabularies and related technical tools and develop new terminology for use where terminological equivalents do not exist in French, and maintain and update the terminological database.
4. RELATED DUTIES
- Participate in consultations with substantive units concerning manifest or possible inconsistencies or errors in the original text.
- Keep abreast of politically sensitive and technically complex issues, developments and terminology.
- Strictly comply with the OPCW confidentiality regime and performs all relevant procedures.
- Perform supervisory functions and participate in recruitment interviews for language staff as necessary in the absence of the Senior Linguist.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- A degree or equivalent qualification, preferably in translation and interpretation, preferably from a university or an institution of equivalent status.
- High level skill and ability in translation (general, specialised,and technical subjects).
- Computer literacy, including knowledge and ability to work with Windows-compatible word-processing equipment.
- Ability to work effectively to meet deadlines as part of a team.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work harmoniously in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to plan and organise.
- Tact, accuracy, and respect for confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision in exceptional circumstances.
- A knowledge of the Chemical Weapons Convention and related disarmament and technical issues, as well as an understanding of international affairs, is desirable.
- At least 5 years of continuous translation and preferably interpretation experience with an advanced university degree (at least 7 years with a first level degree and at least 11 years with an equivalent qualification or specialised training), preferably within the United Nations system.
- Perfect command of the French language, both written and spoken, which must be a first language.
- An excellent knowledge of English and a sound knowledge of at least one other official language of the OPCW (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and provident fund deductions) in USD plus a post adjustment. The post adjustment (cost of living allowance) is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances; the figure quoted below is based on the July 2015 rate of 33.6 %.
- Annual Salary: USD $60,813 (with dependants) / USD $56,766 (no dependants)
- Post Adjustment: USD $20,433 (with dependants) / USD $19,073 (no dependants)
- Total Salary: USD $81,246 (with dependants) / USD 75,839 (no dependants)
How to apply
CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO USE ONLY THE ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEM.
Interested applicants who are unable to submit an application online at www.opcw.org due to technical problems, are requested to send an email to Recruitment@3umg.opcw.org explaining the problem.
Only applications received before the closing date will be considered. Only applicants under serious consideration for a post will be contacted.
Applications from qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged.
Beware of job advertisements and offers that falsely state that they are from the OPCW.
Recommended citation format:OPCW. "Job opening for Linguist (French) P-3 at Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)". aiic.net September 3, 2015. Accessed July 9, 2020. <http://aiic.net/p/7327>.
Anything to say?
You must be logged in to comment. Sign-in