UN announces competitive exam for Spanish booth interpreters
Test scheduled to take place on 28 February/1 March 2017 at various locations. Application period closes 18 December 2016.
Applications are now being accepted from prospective applicants who wish to take the competitive examination for Spanish Interpreters which is tentatively scheduled to take place on 28 February and 1 March 2017 in New York, Geneva and other locations according to the number and location of qualified applicants invited to take the examination.
- Perfect command of Spanish, which is normally expected to be the applicant's main language.
- Excellent knowledge of English and French.
Hold a first-level university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) from a recognized school of interpretation in which at least one full academic year is devoted to interpretation. Alternatively, applicants must hold a first-level degree from a university or institution of equivalent status at which Spanish is the language of instruction, and have 200 days of work experience as conference interpreters or 200 days of work experience in the fields of translation, editing, or verbatim reporting.
Work experience as conference interpreters and/or work experience in the fields of translation, editing, verbatim reporting or other related fields will be an asset.
Within delegated authority, the Interpreter will be responsible for the following duties:
- Services up to seven meetings per week (exceptionally eight), usually of no more than three hours duration, of various United Nations bodies.
- Spanish Interpreters provide interpretation into Spanish of speeches given in English and French.
- May occasionally be assigned to sensitive meetings.
- May function as team leader of all interpreters assigned to a given meeting.
- May perform other related duties, as required.
For detailed information on requirements, expected areas of competence and assessment, plus instructions on how to apply, read the full post on UN Careers.
Recommended citation format:AIIC. "UN announces competitive exam for Spanish booth interpreters". aiic.net November 23, 2016. Accessed June 26, 2019. <http://aiic.net/p/7810>.
Anything to say?
You must be logged in to comment. Sign-in